Last Friday my post “14 books every girl should read in her twenties” was published on ThoughtCatalog.com (one of my favorite sites!). In the comments people mentioned a bunch of books that I haven’t read and now am adding to my list. So, here are 10 books that other people have suggested, which I HAVEN’T read but fully intend to read.
- The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
The Yellow Wallpaper– (a short story, but I’m going to count it!) Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- America’s Women or When Everything Changed – Gail Collins
- Good in Bed – Jennifer Weiner (saw her speak at BEA and have another of her books on my TBR list)
- A Room with a View – E.M. Forester
How to Be a Woman– Caitlin Moran
- Fear of Flying – Erica Jong
- I Married You for Happiness – Lily Truck
- Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
- Restless – William Boyd
A few commentators also mentioned adding Virginia Woolf, which I totally understand. She was a literary innovator and forward thinker and feminist. But I’ve read A Room of One’s Own, The Waves, and Mrs. Dalloway and honestly I didn’t really like any of them. I think they are a bit too high-brow for my taste, especially A Room of One’s Own (it’s an essay!!). Plus, Modernists have just never been my FAV.
Do y’all have other suggestions??